After moving to the country...naturally one wants a dog. Especially if you have lived in a crowded city for years and couldn't even fathom taking care of an animal in a 400 sq ft space let alone yourself. New Yorkers find a way, but something about a small space and no back yard made me shy away from the idea. I grew up in a no pet home, well no pet larger than your hand. We had fish, lizards, hamsters and I think a cat for a short time when we were very little but I don't even remember it. We were told it was stolen...hmmm, riiiight. So naturally I have always wanted a dog. Woman's best friend. A bitch I can bitch too, who will listen and always look at me like a hero.
In New York I always dreamed of a teacup yorkie, a pug, a bug, a puggle, a shmorky and shmickle?? You know the tiny cross breeds that can fit into a handbag? That kind. Eventually, like in the past two years I started really liking something I could run with...an Australian Shepherd, a boxer, a Boston terrior. BF and I have talked about getting one of these but I was given the 6 month rule. You know, if you still really want it in 6 months we can get it (He really keeps me in line:) He was raised with dogs of all breeds (remember, farm boy). So obviously he could take care of it but wanted to make sure I would want it after I settled in here (and not dump all the duties on him)
I digress. Its a leisurely afternoon, not much going on. BF and I are in the kitchen and he gets a call from his mom. I hear her say something to him about a dog her breeder friend is giving away. It is 3 1/2 years old, house broken, a brindle (BF's fave color), well behaved, spayed, I hear full blood something, and free! My heart leaps as I see BF actually considering it, practically excited about it, I am staring at him waiting to hear what kind of dog and then I think I hear it...."ate ane"...can't quite make it out so I lean in "Great ane"...huh?...and then it hits me...Great Dane. I freeze, then slowly I start to shake my head no, I can't stop shaking it, I picture this horse in my home, Me and Hooch, what handbag will hold this dog?!?!. Then good girlfriend kicks in. I think to myself, "Ok, just listen and don't say anything, consider it for him, be understanding...now, and then talk him out of it later but make him think it is his idea...." But seriously I am not sure if I can live with an animal that poops bigger than humans do!
To Be Continued....
Monday, September 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment