My first official camping trip since I was a girl scout in 1985. I ventured out into rugged, unknown territory..ok, BF's Grandparents's 200 acres of land. A spot of timber by a babbling brook (timber is farm talk for forest or woods). We pitched a tent before sundown, complete with a queen sized air mattress :) Set up the citronella tiki torches (FYI-I have come to realize that any biting insect albeit a mosquito or spider leaves a half-dollar sized welt on my body...NOT FUN) and lit a fire of freshly cut wood from his neighbor...no we didn't steal it, there are perks to lending your neighbor milk or eggs.
With camping comes appropriate camping wear, I figured: my worn in skinny jeans, my only pair of sneaks, and a long sleeved grey sweater. Thank goodness BF packed me some extras or I would've frozen to death after sunset. I was so nervous about bugs crawling up my legs that I borrowed his tall thick socks and tight rolled my jeans..(see unfortunate picture).
It was peaceful, beautiful and at night fall...a bit eerie. We were getting dinner ready when I hear a, "yee-owwwww!" in the distance. At first I thought it sounded like a man but soon after heard three more howls...then a few more from another direction. It was a composition of Coyotes, claiming their territory at nightfall. Needless to say I froze. When BF said, "Wow. I've never heard them so close before," I couldn't feel my feet. I quickly walked over to the car but BF finally saw his comment as a cruel joke and banged pots together. The howling ceased. Phew.
Later we laid under the stars and could actually see the Milky Way. It was very peaceful..and cold. I slept with a stocking cap on.
In the morning as we were breaking camp, I noticed a large bird in the sky. It's wings were spread wide and I ran to grab my camera. Two more of these birds appeared...cool! No..not cool. They were buzzards and I swear they were circling us. Well too bad! I made it through the night and wasn't eaten by a coyote or a spider the size of Texas.
No comments:
Post a Comment